What is Purple Friday?
Purple Friday is a day in which students and the school or university can show their solidarity with homosexuals, bisexuals, lesbians, transgenders and intersex persons by wearing the colour purple. In most cases, Purple Friday is organised by the GSA of the school or university. The GSA is a group of students who believe that everyone at their school or university has the freedom to be who they are, without having to be embarrassed for it. The letters GSA stand for Gender and Sexuality Alliance: an alliance between all kinds of sexual orientations, gender identities and gender expressions. People who feel insecure themselves are extra supported by everyone who wears purple on Purple Friday.
In the Netherlands, the awareness day is held since 2010 on every second Friday of December. This year, Purple Friday is held on December 14th 2018.
Purple Friday arose after the example of Spirit Day in the United States, which took place in 2010 for the first time as an expression against the bullying of LGBT youth. In the US and Canada, this day takes place on the third Thursday of October. The colour purple and the Spirit Day used in North America are taken from the purple orbit of the rainbow flag of the gay movement, which symbolizes spirit (character).
Purple Friday for university students?
Purple Friday started as an awareness day for high school students. However, COC Limburg and Dionyx (The LGBTI student organisation of Maastricht and Limburg) both agree that it is also important to make this day available on all levels of education, especially for university students. From experience by students, there is still a lack of knowledge by student advisors and transgender students do not always feel accepted. Purple Friday helps to create awareness and hopes to empower LGBTI students.
How can I contribute?
- Below we have pictures, GIFS, and videos (in English) that you can share on social media!
- Make your profile picture purple!
- As an individual, you can wear purple and make sure your fellow students will do so!
- Use the hashtag #paarsevrijdag or #purplefriday.
- COC Limburg and Dionyx will provide various purple things like bracelets on the day itself.
- As a faculty, you can hang out the rainbow flag. Need a rainbow flag? send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Promote educational material e.g.: the Gender Bread Person or download the Gender Bread Poster kit
Just some GIFS